1. Only then did we decide to answer violence with violence.
Only yesterday did his father tell him the truth.
Only when his father came back did he go to bed. (从句无需倒装，主句要倒装)
2. He strongly believed in the three principles: nationalism; people’s rights; people’s
3. I felt bad the first time I talked to the group.
the first time 用法相当于连词用法，用来引导从句
链接：It’s the first time that 现在完成时
It was the first time that 过去完成时
4. He taught us during the lunch breaks and the evenings when we should have been asleep.
(should have done 本应做而未做)
needn’t have done 本不应做而做了 can’t have done 过去不可能做过
1.die for 为某种事业或目的而死
die for one’s country/ the people/ the cause.
die of 死于内因
die from 死于外因
die from a car accident. 由于车祸而死
die by 死于暴力, 刀或剑等凶器 die by the sword/hanging
be dying for 极想得到... She is dying for a cup of water.
die through carelessness 因过失而死 die…down 凋落, 消失
die away 消失(渐渐远去) The sound died away. 声音渐渐远去。
die out 绝种 This kind of animal is dying out.
2. He fought against the German Nazis and Japanese invaders during World War II.
fight (fought, fought)
fight for 为……而战
fight against 与……作斗争
We will have to fight against difficulties.
They told the workers to fight for their rights.
3. He strongly believed in the three principles: nationalism; people’s rights; people’s
believe in 信任，信仰
Do you believe in God?
We believe in our government.
believe sb. = believe what sb. says 相信某人的话
believe in sb. 信任某人
He believe what he said because I believe in him.
4. in a peaceful way以和平的方式
talk (in) that way. 那样
(In) this way, you can remember the spelling. 这样
Don’t stand in the /my way. 碍事
He is better in some way (s). 在某些方面
He picked a pen on the way to 在往…的路上
He gave up a rich life for his ideas and fought for his country to be free from the UK in a
give up 表示主动放弃或屈服
He has decided to give up smoking.
give in 表示被动屈服或认输， 后面不带宾语
You can’t win the game, so you may as well give in.
free from 摆脱(不好的东西)的，无……的
Keep the children free from harm.
You should try to write sentences free from mistakes
6. He fought for the black people and was in prison for almost thirty years. 他为黑人而战且坐过三十年监狱。
be in prison 在狱中，被监禁
He has been in prison for five years.
put…in prison = send…to prison = throw …into prison 把……投入监狱
The car thieves have been put in prison.
He was sent to prison for ten years
7. in prison囚禁
throw sb. into prison= send /take sb. to prison
be sent to prison (被送进监狱)
be in prison (在监狱里)
be thrown into prison (被投入监狱)
break prison (越狱)
8. The time when I first met Nelson Mandela was a very difficult period of my life.
Let’s finish this period and have a break.
a period of rotation 自转周期
the time when 其中when 引起定语从句
This was a time when you had got to have a passbook to live in Johannesburg.
Do you still remember the time when we first met?
the time 可用于引起时间状语从句，这时一般不加when。
I recognized him the time I saw him.
9. continue + to do =go on to do sth (做完了一件事)开始做另一件事
continue doing=go on doing 继续做某事
如：He continued sleeping/ to sleep as if nothing had happened.他继续睡觉，好像什么也没有发生。