Review of Unit 1-2
1. take place
(1) take place意为“举行,进行”。例如：
The football game will take place tomorrow. 足球比赛明天举行。
(2) take place还有“发生；产生”之意。例如：
Great changes have taken place in China. 中国已经发生了巨大的变化。
(1) take place 表示“发生、举行、举办”，一般指非偶然性事件的“发生”，即这种事件的发生一定有某种原因或事先的安排。例如：
When will the wedding take place? 婚礼什么时候举行？
What happened to you? 你发生了什么事？(一般不说：What did you happen?)
【注意】happen 与 take place 通常都没有被动语态。
China has a quarter of the world’s population.
(1) 当表示一个城市、地区或国家有多少人口时，常用以下两种结构，即“the population of + 某地 + is + 数词”或“某地 + has a population of + 数词”。例如：
The population of London is over ten million.
=London has a population of over ten million. 伦敦的人口超过一千万。
The city with its large population has become crowded.
(3) 询问人口数量常用what或how large。例如：
What’s the population of the city?
=How large is the population of the city?
One half of the population of the city are farmers. 这个城市的一半人口是农民。
They will offer drinks during the meeting. 会议期间他们将提供饮料。
The young man offered an old man his own seat.
= The young man offered his own seat to an old man.
offer to do sth. 主动提出做某事
offer sb. sth. = offer sth. to sb. 向某人提供某物 例如：
He offered me a glass of wine. 他端给我一杯酒。
That answer won’t satisfy her. 那个回答不能令她满意。
Our company will do everything to satisfy our customers.
You can’t apply for the job until you have satisfied certain conditions.
Her pride was so fully satisfied.
She seemed pretty satisfied with the result.
I felt quite satisfied after my big meal。
（2）常用短语搭配：be satisfied with sth. 意为“对……很满意（主语为人）”。
The teacher is satisfied with her homework.
I told myself I would be satisfied with whatever I could get.
One shouldn’t be satisfied with only a little success.
success 表示抽象意义的“成功”，是不可数名词；表示具体意义的“成功的人或事”, 则是可数名词。
Failure is the mother of success. 失败是成功之母。
His new book was a great success.
（1）succeed 表示“成功”，是不及物动词；表示做某事成功了，succeed 后通常接（in）doing sth。
His plan succeeded.他的计划成功了。
At last he succeeded in solving the problem. 他终于把那个问题解决了。
She succeeded in (passing) the exam. 她考试及格了。
The performance was successful. 演出很成功。
It was a successful experiment. 那是一次成功的试验。
encourage用作及物动词，意为“鼓励；鼓舞；促进；助长”等，常用于以下结构：encourage sb. to do sth.意为“鼓励某人做某事”。例如：
The teacher often encourages us to study hard.老师经常鼓励我们要努力学习。
My mother encouraged me to enter the contest.
(1) encourage sb. in sth. 意为“在……方面鼓励/助长某人”。例如：
Don’t encourage him in laziness. 别助长他的懒惰行为。
The teacher’s words were a great encouragement to him.
We should not pollute our rivers with waste.
Pollution is a big problem. 污染是个大问题。
含pollution的习惯用语：air pollution 空气污染 noise pollution 噪音污染
God creates human beings. 上帝创造了人类。
An artist should create beautiful things. 一个艺术家应该创造美丽的东西。
It is people who create history. 是人民创造了历史。
Yoga releases the creative potential in life.
Pay close attention to your own creative ideas.
We never discovered how to open the box.
China has discovered oil under the South China Sea.
I found the book I was looking for. 我找到了一直在找的书。
(3) find out意为“查明白、弄清楚”，多用于经过调查、分析、研究等手段查出的情况，查出的东西往往是抽象的，如时间、事实、真相等。例如：
Please find out when the meeting starts. 请查一下会议什么时候开始。
Cai Lun invented the paper. 蔡伦发明了纸。
The sun has not yet risen. 太阳还没升起。
The population of the city has risen to five million.
He rose and left the room. 他站起身走出屋去。
I have to rise early tomorrow morning. 我明天必须早起。
He raised his glass and said，“Your health, Carl.”
If you want to ask a question, first raise your hand.
They are going to raise funds for the school buildings.
The foolish prince raised an army against his father.
The ticket price was raised to 30 yuan. 票价上升到了30元。
The speaker raised his voice so that we could hear him.
1. take place _____________ 2. 跟……保持联系_____________
3. 取得进步 ____________ 4. succeed in doing sth. ____________
5. 采取措施做某事 ___________ 6. so far___________
7. 幸亏，由于 ___________ 8. as a matter of fact _________
9. 故意，有意地__________ 10. according to___________
1. Luck 52 the people who want to show themselves ______(给……提供) a good stage.
2. (多亏) the modern communications, we can keep in touch with our friends and relatives far away easily.
3. China has great (取得进步) in sending man-made satellites into space.
4. Our new headmaster looks very young. I think he is (少于) thirty years old.
5. Mike is weak in English. In order to (赶上) others, Mike works harder than before.
agreement, as a result, and so on, at present, in the past
1. __________ ten years, my hometown has changed greatly.
2.—What sports do you like?
—I like playing basketball, playing table tennis, playing football, running __________.
3. Li Hong studies English harder than before. __________, she has a good mark.
4. I’m afraid I can’t help you __________, because I’m too busy.
5. The grandchild nods his head to show his __________ to his grandpa.
express, close, speak, open, be, practice, has, take, clear, try, understand, bring
Many Chinese students don’t pay much attention to 1 English at school. They think it necessary 2 speaking English in class, but not out of class. Here is a story to show you how important it is to speak the English language freely in everyday life.
A foreigner once got hungry and went into a restaurant in London. He sat down at a table. When the waiter came, he 3 his mouth, put his fingers into it and took them out again in order 4 that he wanted something to eat for he could not speak English. The waiter soon 5 a cup of tea. The man shook his head. The waiter then 6 away the tea and brought a cup of coffee. The man again shook his head. He 7 again and again, but he wasn’t able to make the waiter 8 him. However, when another man came in, he spoke English 9 and fluently. In a few minutes, there 10 a large plate of meat and vegetables on the table before him.
1. 发生，进行 2. keep in touch with
3. make progress 4. 成功做了某事
5. take measures to do sth. 6. 到目前为止
7. thanks to 8.事实上
9. on purpose 10. 按照，据说
1. provides, with 2. Thanks to 3.made, progress 4. less than 5. catch up with
1. In the past 2.and so on 3.As a result 4.at present 5.agreemen
1. speaking 2.to practice 3.opened 4.to express 5.brought
6. took 7.tried 8.understand 9.clearly 10.was
1. Silva 2. 742980 3. Road 4. new 5. Monday
M: Hello, Cambridge Language College.
W: Oh ... yes. Hello. I'd like to take one of your evening classes.
M: Oh, yes. Which class are you interested in?
W: English ... it's Course 139.
M: I see ... Course 139 is for new students. Is that the course you want?
W: Yes, it is.
M: OK. Now, I need to take some personal details first. Your name, please?
M: Silva's your family name, isn't it?
M: Can you spell that for me?
W: Yes. S-I-L-V-A.
M: Thank you. And your first name?
M: ... Maria. Thank you. Oh, where are you from?
W: I'm from France. I'm a student at university in Paris. I'm here for the summer.
M: I see. So you speak French and ... any other languages?
W: No, just French ... and a little English!
M: And you're a student ... And your date of birth?
W: My date ... Oh! The eleventh of October 1983.
M: Eleventh of October ...1983. Where are you staying in Cambridge?
M: What's your address here?
W: Oh. It's 24 Cherry Road.
M: OK. Now then Maria, do you have a telephone number?
W: Yes. It's 742980.
M: 742980. That's fine. The next English course for new students starts on Monday at seven pm.
1. I have been to Mount Huang with my parents.
(2) have been to 是现在完成时形式，一般与already, ever, never连用。例如：
He has never been to Paris. 他从未去过巴黎。
have been to; have been in 与have gone to的辨析：
(1)“have/ has been to + 地点”表示“去过某地”，现在已经回来了。例如：
I’ve been to Beijing twice. 我已去过北京两次。
(2)“have/has been in + 地点”表示“在某地待了一段时间”。例如：
He’s been in this school for two years. 他在这所学校待了两年了。
(3)“have/has gone to + 地点”表示“到某地去了”，现在还没有回来，可能在去的途中，也可能在那里或返回的途中。例如：
— Where’s Wei Hua? 魏华在哪里？
— She has gone to the zoo. 她到动物园去了。
2. China has developed rapidly since the reform and opening-up.
She has been ill since last weekend. 她自从上周末就病了。
She has been in Wuhan since four years ago. 自从四年前她就在武汉。
I have studied English since I came here.
I have known her since I was five years old.
3. Chinese people have had more time to spend on various kinds of leisure activities.
sb. + spend + 时间/金钱 + (in) doing sth. 花费时间或金钱做某事
sb. + spend+时间/金钱 + on sth. 花费时间或金钱在某物上
I spend half an hour watching TV every day.
He spends 20 yuan on books every month.
4. They used to be, but the city has improved a lot since I came here a few years ago.
used to do sth是一个固定结构，意思是“过去经常做某事”，后面用动词原形，表示过去的某种经常性、习惯性的行为或者动作，并意味着这种动作目前已经不存在。例如：
肯定句：I used to play with my friends after school.
否定句：You didn’t use to like pop songs.=You usedn’t to like pop songs.
一般疑问句：Did your sister use to be quiet? = Used your sister to be quiet?
there be句式：There used to be a lot of fishes in this river.
(1) be used to do something意思是“被用来做某事”，是动词短语use …to do的被动语态结构。
Knives are used to cut things.
(2) be used to doing something意思是“习惯于做某事”，to后接动词-ing形式。例如：
My father is used to living in the village.
5. It not only disturbs others but also does great harm to people’s hearing.
（1）not only...but also...的意思是“不但……而且……”，连接两个并列成分，如果连接两个主语的时候，谓语动词和also后面的主语保持一致。例如：
Not only my mother but also I like to go to the garden.
（2）以not only…but also...开头的句子往往引起倒装。例如：
Not only did he complain about the food, but he refused to pay for it.
6. Trees can stop the wind from blowing the earth away.
stop somebody/something from doing something表示“阻止某人做某事或者阻止某事发生”。
We must stop him from going swimming in the river.
stop doing sth. 停止做某事
stop to do sth. 停下来去做（另外）某事 例如：
Let’s stop to have a break. 咱们停下来休息一会儿。
The two girls stopped talking when they saw me.
Now let’s stop reading. 现在咱们停止读书。
Our teacher stopped to look at the boy. 老师停下来看了看那个男孩。
7. But now you’d better go to see a doctor.
had better(常简略为’d better)是一固定词组，had better意为“最好”，用于表示对别人的劝告、建议或表示一种愿望。其用法有以下几点：
(1) had better后面必须跟动词原形，构成had better do sth.句型。例如：
You’d better go to hospital at once. 你最好立即去医院看病。
Tom, you’d better get up earlier today. 汤姆，你最好今天早起一点。
(2) 主语不论是第几人称，句子不论是什么时态，都要用had better的形式。例如：
Now we had better listen to the teacher carefully.
8. Then we sort them so that they can be recycled.
They opened a technical training course so that the managers and clerks could attend it during their spare time．他们开了一个技术训练班，为了经理和职员们在业余的时间可以去上课。
Please switch the light on so that we can see what it is．
I took an early bus so that I got there in time．
She felt so sad that tears came to her eyes．
He spoke so rapidly（that）we could hardly follow him．
1. The Smiths have lived in the country for five years.（对划线部分提问）
_____ _____ _____ the Smiths lived in the country?
2. Being a greener person is so easy.（同义句转换）
It is not _____ _____ _____ a greener person.
3. “What will you do for Project Hope?” he asked me. (改为复合句)
He asked me _____ _____ _____ do for Project Hope.
4. This shop opened three days ago.（同义句转换）
This shop _____ _____ _____ for three days.
5. Did your father go to Japan?（改为现在完成时）
_____ your father _____ to Japan?
________ the heavy rain kept ________ down, the soldiers didn’t give up their training.
One of the greatest problems of the world today is that the world’s ________ is growing
________ and ________.
We haven’t ________ each other ________ a long time.
Chemicals are ________ ________ the environment.
________ it ________ tomorrow, ________ I’ll go fishing.
My father _____ me _____ put the suitcase in the car yesterday.
Is Australian English _____ _____ _____ British English?
Michael is going to the airport _____ _____ Wang Junfeng _____.
Lin Tao _____ his classmates ____ basketball on the playground at 4:00 p.m. yesterday.
Chen Zhen has no _____ in _____ English.
A: Hi, Kate! How was your summer vacation?
B: 1. ____________________________
A: Where did you go?
B: I went to Yinchuan with my parents.
A: 2. ____________________________
B: It’s one of the most beautiful cities in the northwest of China. I like it very much.
A: How long did you stay there?
B: 3. ____________________________ for five days. We’ve been to many wonderful places.
A: 4. ____________________________
B: I think Sand Lake is the best. When I was there, I lost myself in the beautiful scenery.
A: 5. ____________________________
B: Lots of things. Such as swimming, boating, fishing and riding camels. But I think sand sliding (滑沙) is the most exciting one.
A: Oh, really? I can’t wait to go there.
hard, while, learn, come out, father, be, quickly, afraid
Once upon a time, there lived a family of mice in the kitchen. One Saturday morning Father Mouse and his son felt hungry and (1) _______ for food. (2) _______ they were looking for food, they saw a big cat. Baby Mouse was very (3) _______ and climbed onto his (4)_______ back. Father Mouse shouted at the cat. “Woof, woof!” The cat ran away (5) _______. “Wow, dad, you’re great!” said Baby Mouse. “Well, son, that’s why it’s important to (6) _______ a second language.” answered Father Mouse.
1. How long have 2. hard/difficult to be 3.what I would
4. has been open 5. Has; gone
1. Although; pouring 2. population; faster; faster 3. seen; for
4. harmful to /bad for 5. Unless; rains; or 6.asked, to
7. the same as 8. to see off 9. saw, playing 10. difficulty, learning
1. It was great.
2. How do you like Yinchuan?
3. We stayed there
4. Which is your favorite place? / Which place do you like best?
5. What interesting things did you do there?
1. came out 2. While 3. afraid 4. father’s 5. quickly 6. learn